Dynamax (or D-Max) is a temporary battle transformation that can affect every Pokémon (except for Zacian, Zamazenta and Eternatus) and can only be used once each battle.
This transformation has another special variant known as Gigantamax.
Pokémon cannot be Dynamaxed outside battle.
The Dynamax transformation triples the Pokémon size for 3 turns, multiplying its HP from 1.5x to 2x and unlocking unique powerful moves, known as Max Moves. If the user is defeated or switched out before the end of the 3 turns, the transformation is reverted abruptly.
- The boost on HP affects every Pokémon except Shedinja, and is completely dependant on the Pokémon Dynamax Level.
- The Max Moves are special moves that deal a different amount of damage depending on the type of the base moves the Pokémon knows; all Status moves become Max Guard when Dynamaxed.
You are only able to choose one between Dynamax and Mega Evolution, as it is not possible to equip both the Mega Bracelet and the Dynamax Band at the same time.
To Mega Evolve your Pokémon again you have to equip the Mega Bracelet from the Bag in the bottom-left of your Inventory.
How to Dynamax
To unlock the Dynamax Band, the Trainer will have to right-click an Uncharged Dynamax Band while holding a Wishing Star in the inventory (the star will have a chance to fall from the sky only after 60% or more of the Pokédex has been completed).
Once unlocked, you will be able to Dynamax in any battle!
Dynamax button (as shown on the right) in the Move selection menu to convert any move into its Max Move equivalent. Selecting one of them will start the Dynamax transformation sequence!
- Note: If you still cannot Dynamax after obtaining the Dynamax Band, you will have to equip it by hand!
Gigantamax (or G-Max) is a special type of Dynamax tranformation that only some Pokémon have access to.
A Pokémon appearance will change significantly while Gigantamaxed, unlike regular Dynamaxing.
There are 32 species of Pokémon capable of Gigantamaxing.
To gain access to Gigantamax, a Pokémon must have the Gigantamax Factor after its name. The G-Max Factor cannot be passed down through Breeding.
Having the Gigantamax Factor makes Eevee, Kantonian Meowth and Pikachu unable to evolve.
Gigantamaxing a Pokémon makes it gain any effect the Dynamax tranformation would grant, with the addiction of G-Max Moves, Pokémon-specific stronger moves with powerful secondary effects.
How to gain Gigantamax Factor
The Gigantamax Factor can also be gained by a Pokémon that doesn't have it by the use of a Cooking Pot:
- Craft 3 Max Mushrooms and put them together with a Bowl and some Logs in the Cooking Pot to gain a Max Soup.
Give it to your Pokémon to eat to let it gain the G-Max Factor!
(Only Gigantamaxable Pokémon can gain the Gigantamax Factor.)
Urshifu will need two extra steps to gain the G-Max Factor:
- Craft the Max Honey item (1 Max Powder + Honey).
- Put the Max Honey with 3 Max Mushrooms, a Bowl and some Logs into the Cooking Pot to gain the Soup for Urshifu!
Pokémon capable of Gigantamax
In every Pokémon Summary, you can find a dedicated bar that indicates their Dynamax Level, the higher the level, the more HP the Pokémon will have when Dynamaxed.
The Dynamax Level can be increased by right-clicking the Pokémon with a Dynamax Candy.
For each level, the Pokémon gains 5% more HP, up to a maximum of 100%:
|Level||Increase in HP|
- Main article: Max Moves
Max Moves are poweful moves that every Pokémon can use while Dynamaxed. Its Type and Power will depend on the base move the Pokémon knew before Dynamaxing.
G-Max Moves are special types of Max Moves only Gigantamaxed Pokémon can use.
All Dynamax Pokémon are immune to flinching.
Also Dynamax pokemon are unaffected by:
- Moves affected by weight (such as Low Kick and Heavy Slam).
- One-hit knockout moves.
- Destiny Bond move.
- Moves and Abilities that replace the target's Ability with the user's.
- Moves that force the target to be switched out.
- Disable and Cursed Body.
- Encore, Torment, and Instruct.
- "allowDynamax": Whether Pokémon are able to Dynamax or not.
- "dynamaxScale": Sets the scale multiplier for Dynamax Pokémon (how much they will grow from their base form) (default= 3).
- "gmaxFactorSpawnRate": Sets the 1/x chance of a wild Pokémon spawning with G-Max Factor (default= 512).
- "goldRushEnabled": Whether or not to enable money aspect of G-Max Gold Rush.
- "dynamaxEnergyBeam": Sets the 1/x chance of a Dynamax Energy Beam to spawn around you (default= 5000)
- "wishingStar": Sets the 1/x chance of a Wishing Star to spawn around the player (default= 5000)
- "wishingStarDexCompletion": Sets the % of the Pokédex that a player must have completed for wishing stars to spawn on them (default= 0.60 (= 60%))